Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MAINTENANCE ISSUES


One of the things, which historically I’ve put off the longest upon a move, is self -maintenance. Finding a haircutter, colorist, pedicurist, waxer, shaper, polisher, buffer — these things all seem quite peripheral in terms of immediate needs.


Or they used to.


Until this morning when, in an attempt to address personal upkeep, I wacked off my right eye brow.


Or most of it. It now has a beginning and an end, but looks rather missing in the middle.


And I didn’t have much to start with. I was really only trying to get after those hairs, which seem more and more to be bopping up beyond the brow. I used my husband's trimmer. It looked fairly simple when he used it. Now all kinds of raunchy references to tools and husbands pop up in my mind ...


Once a friend, upon asking him how he was fairing after a long interval without seeing each other said, “I’m getting both balder and hairier.”


It’s like tending a lawn. You can let go for a while, but suddenly, seemingly overnight, you wake up to patches of unwanted weeds in some areas, where others have gone nearly dead.


Metaphorically, my lawn has gone to pot.


Certain things, upon getting older, just can’t be put off, indefinitely. They must be tended on a regular basis.


Today I am, without a doubt, both balder and hairier. I need to learn to move certain things to the top of the list…

No comments:

Post a Comment