Tuesday, June 12, 2012

BEING HERE


Last week the kids and I packed a picnic and joined some friends on term break for a romp around an 11th century priory in Norfolk. We ran around, played hide-n–seek, and enjoyed ice-creams in and around rooms and ruins built 1000 years ago.

While my kids were supposed to be in school that day, I thought it more prudent to enjoy our friends here and embrace the British schedule. In fact, I wish our Department of Defense school ebb and flow were more in sync with our host country’s rhythms, in this regard.

Last week marked the inception of an ongoing celebration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. Earlier on Monday, we picnicked with our friends on a common green in Thetford, and danced to a Queen tribute band. They rocked us in a very Queen-like fashion. In a couple of years, God Save the Queen, Elizabeth will become the longest reigning monarch.

I bought a tea-towel at the priory on which there is a fun graphic chronology of the monarchy. I’ve always had trouble keeping that straight.

Walking around the grounds of the castle ruins, it took me a while to wrap my head around the math, as well as to picture what it might have been like then. The 11th century was the time of Macbeth and William the Conquerer. 

It wasn’t too difficult, really. Parts of the structure are in amazing shape. In some rooms upstairs, you could still see evidence of the red roses painted on the ceiling — in tribute to one of the houses of Rose, probably painted closer to the time before the priory closure in the 15th century, although I'm guessing. I didn't take the tour.

And there were chamber rooms. I thought those came into play much later.

Originally built inside of a Norman Castle, around 1089, the priory was eventually moved to give the Cluniac (I remember through word association — George Clooney) Monks, which inhabited it, more space. And space they had.

I wonder how our present-day structures will hold-up in 1000 years?

Speaking of present day, it is in the low 40s, and overcast right now. Right now is June 12, 2012. We enjoyed a few days of true summer-like weather over Memorial Day weekend, and many people around us took that opportunity to travel. We stayed home. I loved being here then. 

I love being here now, in a way. I am bundled, but if I get past the initial “UGH” factor and the ingrained expectation of what summer brings, it isn’t so bad. In fact, it’s great running in the woods with Horace; not too hot nor too cold.

Many arrive here with their travel "bucket" lists already mapped out. I have yet to commit. I love the easy access and adventures offered outside of this country, but I also love my immediate surroundings. We are in a relatively rural area, but in great proximity to much of what England has to offer, not least of which is the agrarian bounty, which surrounds us. Right now, I am digging that I can walk across the street to buy asparagus, freshly picked.

Last week, I loaded up on cut flowers from the little lady down the way. I had a literal armful for the equivalent of five bucks.

While it often isn’t easy here, not least of which is due to the demands of the mission, and it is often in sharp contrast to our sensibilities (weather patterns, driving on the left, 120 v 220), being here is ripe with opportunity and experience, right out the door.



No comments:

Post a Comment