Thursday, November 15, 2012

GOOD GRABS


Life is a convergence of things, both large and small.

Last week I ran into the library. In my usual fashion, I buzzed in to return a few things. While there, and within five minutes, I chose four more books. One for me, and one each for my three children.

Sometimes I hit a homerun with my fast grabs, and sometimes I don’t. But I figure, they’re from the library, and who cares if I mis-choose? I’ll just return the rejects and try again.

Often these days when I introduce something (anything?) to my son, who is now thirteen, I am met with either straight out rejection, or at least cynicism. This time, I merely placed the book in his room. I let him know it was there (about five or six times), before he asked on Monday, “Mom, where’s that book?” in what I fathom to be a moment of desperation.

We spend a lot of time in the car travelling to and from after-school activities. Nothing is close by. It takes us forty minutes to get to and from swim practice five times a week. So my kids have learned to dive into books. We all do.

Recently during a different “fast grab” library hit-and-run, I picked up “Born to Run” on tape by Christopher McDougall. In what may just be the longest running slump in my lifetime, I found great pleasure in listening to this book during my week of multiple pool runs. A few days into it, my daughter asked, “Are you ready to listen?”

I was thrilled she seemed to be getting something out of the book as well. Even the other kids in the car who catch a lift with me asked about the book after I finished it. Hmmmm…. This might be a new trend….

By the way, books on tape to which I haven’t previously read come with pitfalls. Warning — to all would-be listeners, there are some patchy language/theme spots.

 “EARMUFFS!” I yelled whenever we hit a rough patch.

So on Tuesday, just a day after my son “discovered” the book I chose for him, I looked down at his place marker and realized he was almost to the end.

We were once again about to leave for swim team.

I asked, “How late were you up reading last night?”

“I dunno, maybe two…”

“Two am?!&(*&(&^. Great son.” This I said as we walked into practice, where, after a full day of school and after-school activities, he was about to lay down a time for the 800 free to qualify for champs.

But secretly, I was thrilled that he obviously enjoyed something I introduced to him. It doesn’t always happen. I’ll take the small victories.

Today, I picked up the book in anticipation of returning it and instead began reading. I can’t put it down, either.

 “The Warriors Heart,” by Eric Greitens is a great read. Written with young people in mind, it is an adaptation of Greitens’ work, “The Heart and the Fist.”

Coincidentally, Monday was Veterans Day. I read a lot of expressions of the day. But wasn't sure how to express my own thoughts. Now I do.

Greitens, a former Navy SEAL, founded an organization called The Mission Continues. It is an organization, which utilizes the strength and courage of retired veterans in service projects around the United States for people in need.

Greitens’ non-profit organization helps bridge the misconception many Americans have about our service veterans, while initiating and funding continued service closer to home. Check it out.

Check out his book, too.

http://missioncontinues.org




No comments:

Post a Comment