Tuesday, February 8, 2011

VD

“What do you want for Valentines Day?” he asked.


I couldn’t come up with a thing to say in response, so I think I just shrugged and maybe grunted, “I dunno.” I wasn't very helpful, or even encouraging. But it is nice he’s thinking about it. (I probably should have told him that instead of my aforementioned indifferent response...)


We, individually and together, completely let our anniversary slip by this year. We simply forgot until the next day in January when we woke up to see the date. It was like a simultaneous slap to the forehead. Is that what happens after 16 years? Oops.


Perhaps a bit more effort than usual is required this Valentines Day.


Ideally, Valentines is one of those days when you don’t ask, but rather wonder what your loved ones might create or come up with in terms of a loving gesture all on their own.


Having said this, I can’t think of a thing. Well I can, but a weekend far far away, just doesn’t seem possible.


I still like creating Valentines by hand. The girls and I began their "VD" (as my dear old Dad used to love to say) project last weekend. It involves scissors and glue, and whatever they come up with to extend to their classmates. It sure helped pass the time over the rainy weekend in DC.


Now I need to come up with something. And because of the bunked up recent anniversary, I feel like it needs to be good.


I’ve written poems in the past. I think they were okay. None of them began with “Roses are red …”


I keep thinking of that book Carrie Bradshaw has in her hands from the first “Sex in the City” movie, Love Letters of Great Men. I can almost smell the “old book smell” in that scene. I love old books. Maybe I could find that book or one similar for inspiration, though downloading it on my Kindle seems a little gauche.


I might do it anyway.


Valentines is on a Monday this year, so an extravagant dinner seems a little over the top, or at least too much for a Monday; maybe that flourless chocolate torte I make with chili pepper would suffice...


Maybe I’ll try to write a letter in French. The kids are learning French right now. I love to listen to my eight-year-old adopt the speakers’ accent when she’s prompted to repeat a word or phrase .


I’m struggling. I often do when it comes to “imposed” days for gestures. I’m more of the spontaneous/compulsive type.


Help. I welcome any and all sincere suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment