Tuesday, March 15, 2011

PUSHBACK

When I was about nine or ten years old, I experienced the first big shift in my life. My mother finally convinced my farm-loving father to move into a neighborhood in the vicinity of town.


This was HUGE. The farm, and all it entailed, was all I knew. A lot changed.


My pony went. In its stead, I received my first Schwinn bicycle from Bicycle Bill’s in Vermilion, Ohio. It was that burnt brown color; a ten-speed. Clearly this was meant as a trade-off.


There were others. My dad bought a bigger boat. He named it “Compensation.”


My mom received her house in the suburbs; away from the farm. I’m sure I didn’t have a firm grasp on the full meaning behind that name, compensation, but I get it now.


Give and take over a life time of togetherness, I believe, must balance. I’m a big believer in the pendulum. And, for the most part, it does. But when the bar begins to swing away; too far for me to grasp, I begin my retreat.


It’s happens often enough that I recognize the symptoms, although, I still haven’t managed to wipe them out, completely.


When Rick goes TDY or on a long deployment, our lives begin to shift away from the comfort I’ve created and with which I’ve worked hard to surround us. In response to this intrusion, I begin to construct my perimeter wall; an emotional barrier with which to shield any potential hurt or hardship lurking out in the distance.


It’s what I do. Not intentionally, but it's my coping mechanism; my atonement.


I know others who follow similar patterns. Some spouses make large purchases, again, somehow in restitution for a sense of loss.


“This American Life,” from Chicago Public Radio, had a segment last week titled, Will They Know Me Back Home? It features a dramatic read taken from excerpts of a book about military life. One of the vignettes includes thoughts from a wife coping at home, while her husband is deployed for a long period of time. I related so strongly, it prompted me to recognize some of my behaviors of late, anticipating an extended absence.


I’m rusty — out of "deployment condition." The guys call it "readiness." My military spouse went from rarely being home to rarely being away from home in recent times.


I need to polish my armour; remember how to embrace the change, and wait for that balance to come back full center.

2 comments:

  1. we certainly all do have our "shield"...I know I have mine...although really working on getting rid of it and letting the exposure "hit"...

    thinking of you and family...god bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, thinking of and praying for you as you prepare for another deployment and get back into a state of "readiness." Keep on writing, girl, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete